Can you imagine an effective leader who is not an effective communicator? Leadership communication skills are very important. Some would call effective communication the most important leadership competency. Without the skills of effective communication, you will not be an effective leader, especially in this complex, fast-paced environment.
It is important for the leader to create an environment of open communication where ideas, solutions, and problems can all be discussed without fear. When employees understand that communication is open and encouraged, they will perform better.
Using the assigned readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research communication competencies required for leaders.
Then, respond to the following:
• What are some key communication competencies needed in leaders today?
• Is individual communication more important than group or mass communication? Why or why not?
• List 2–4 strategies that leaders can use to improve their individual communication skills. Which method is most important? Why?
By Week 3, Day 3, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Week 3, Day 7, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Do the following when responding to your peers:
• Read your peers’ answers.
• Provide substantive comments by
o contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources;
o building on the remarks or questions of others; or
o sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
• Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
• Make sure your writing
o is clear, concise, and organized;
o demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and
o displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Assignment Components Max Points
Initial response was:
• Insightful, original, accurate, and timely.
• Substantive and demonstrated advanced understanding of concepts.
• Compiled/synthesized theories and concepts drawn from a variety of sources to support statements and conclusions. 16
Discussion Response and Participation:
• Responded to a minimum of two peers in a timely manner.
• Offered points of view supported by research.
• Asked challenging questions that promoted discussion.
• Drew relationships between one or more points in the discussion. 16
• Wrote in a clear, concise, formal, and organized manner.
• Responses were error free.
• Information from sources, where applicable, was paraphrased appropriately and accurately cited. 8