Group A: A newspaper columnist signs a contract with a newspaper chain. Several months later she is offered a position with another newspaper chain at a higher salary. Because she would prefer making more money, she notifies the first chain that she is breaking her contract. The courts will decide the legality of her action. But what of the morality? Did the columnist behave ethically?
An airline pilot goes for his regular medical checkup. The doctor discovers that he has developed a heart murmur. The pilot only has a month to go before he is eligible for retirement. The doctor know this and wonders whether, under these unusual circumstances, she is justified in withholding the information about the pilots condition.
Group B: An office worker had a record of frequent absence. He used all his vacation and sick leave days and frequently requested additional leave without pay. His supervisor and co-workers expressed great frustration because his absenteeism caused bottlenecks in paperwork, created low morale in the office, and required others to do his work in addition to their own. On the other hand, he felt he was entitled to take his earned time and additional time off without pay. Was he right?
Rhonda enjoys socializing with fellow employees at work, but their discussion usually consists of gossiping about other people, including several of her friends. At first Rhonda feels uncomfortable talking in this way about people she is close to, but then she decided it does no real harm and she feels no remorse for joining in.
Please wait until at least Thursday to begin working on this assignment so you can include the information we are learning in the threads and in our readings in your thought processes.
Parameters for writing this paper:
1. Answer the questions raised in the problems above. You will have two separate sections to your paper, one on each separate question in your chosen group. You do not have to write an “English class” style paper this week. Answer each problem separately.
2. While writing your answers, incorporate the ideas of “good vs. evil,” “wrong vs. right,” and “ought/should be vs. what is.”
3. Explain in your answer to each problem how Augustine and Aquinas would have solved the problem based on what we learned about each here in the materials and course, and if they differ, why?
4. Your two sets of answers should be about two pages, double spaced.
I expect your paper to be written in the form of a well-structured essayhaving an introduction, a body, and a conclusion.
The most weight is given to the relevance of the content, and the critical reasoning exhibited in the paper. A high-quality, well-reasoned essay will have a compelling argument. Merely stating your opinion is not an argument. Convince the reader that your opinion is correct. (This is the same point as regards high-quality posts in the discussions.) This is the area where I would like to see you grow over the term.
The required content will also be graded in terms of logical reasoning, and philosophical insight.
Consider the ethical dilemma given below. Write an ethics paper about it, including all the following information and analysis:
1. Solve the dilemma using any two of the following Three Primary Schools of Ethics we discuss this week from our assigned reading. (Ends based, Rules based, or Care based).
2. Explain the similarities and differences in your two solutions to the same dilemma.
3. State (and justify) whether you feel the two schools of ethics are worthy of use in “real life” dilemmas.
4. Do you feel that Aristotle would have approved of either of your solutions? Why or why not?
Please note that your ethics papers this term will be a great practice for you in doing the Final Exam. Your final exam is an essay exam which will follow a very similar format to the homework assignments…so please be sure to spend some time doing your readings and applying them to your written assignments.
Your papers should be about two typed pages, double spaced. Use the DeVry standard format for the paper (the title page and citation pages do not count among the two pages). Please organize your thoughts, use headings, and create readable documents with grammar and spelling checked.
The Dilemma will be your choice from either of the two following:
Choice 1: Over the past few decades, a sizable industry has arisen to serve the demand for ready-made and even customized compositions and term papers. Many students presumably believe there is nothing morally wrong with the practice of buying one of these papers and turning it in to fulfill a course requirement. Review what you read about plagiarism in this chapter. Then write a several-paragraph explanation of its message for a friend who doesnt get it. (Be sure to follow the approach explained in that section so you avoid committing plagiarism yourself).
Choice 2: A married couple, both addicted to drugs, are unable to care for their infant daughter. She is taken from them by court order and placed in a foster home. The years pass. She comes to regard her foster parents as her real parents. They love her as they would their own daughter. When the child is 9 years old, the natural parents, rehabilitated from drugs, begin court action to regain custody. The case is decided in their favor. The child is returned to them, against her will. Does ethics support the law in this case? Discuss