Need topic ideas to get you started? HIST1302 Essay ideas.docx
Also, see my announcements about the help available through the CTC Writing Center.
NOTE: Before beginning this assignment, read through information contained in the Scholastic Dishonesty link in the course menu to the left.
- The core assignment of this course is a documented research paper
- 1500-2000 words in length = approx. 6 – 8 pages double spaced
- 12-point font
- The essay should support a thesis statement (making an argument) with information gained from research or investigation.
What is a Thesis?
Here's some help with writing a history research paper at the college level and writing a Thesis Statement:
- Writing a Thesis and Making an Argument
- What is a Thesis with examples
- What is a Thesis Statement with examples
- Tips and Examples for Writing Thesis Statements
- Your research paper will not be just a report presenting information, but will be an essay that carefully examines and presents your own historical interpretation of the topic you have chosen and your interpretation of the information you have gathered.
- Your research paper may include consideration of problems and solutions, define key terms, or refute arguments against your thesis statement.
It is important to choose a topic of interest to you.
- Approach this assignment with an open and skeptical mind, then form an opinion based on what you have discovered.
- You must suspend belief while you are investigating and let the discoveries shape your opinion. (This is a thesis-finding approach.)
- Once you have found your thesis, write the paper to support it.
You will use some of the following critical thinking skills in this process:
- Choosing an appropriate topic, limiting the topic
- Gathering information, summarizing sources
- Analyzing and evaluating sources
- Defining key terms
- Synthesizing information, comparing and contrasting sources
- Testing a thesis, making an historical argument, using refutationan historical argument, using refutation
- Amassing support for a position
- Documenting sources
Order a similar research paper and get 15% discount