MJCM 500 – Course Assignments
Week 1: Criminal Law and the Criminal Courts System
Garland, Norman. (2012). Criminal Law for the Criminal Justice Professional, 3rd Ed.
New York: McGraw-Hill.
1.1 – Discussion Board Assignment (25 points): Initial post due Sunday, 11:59
p.m. CT and 2 substantive reply posts due by Wednesday, 11:59 p.m. CT.
Submit your postings to Discussion Board 1.1.
(A “substantive” reply post should have academic support or include personal
insight on the subject, drawing from your experiences. A response such as “I
agree” or “good job” will not meet the assignment criteria. I am not discouraging
you from providing encouraging words to your peers, but if you choose to do
that, you must also meet the above substantive feedback criteria to receive credit
for your postings. A substantive response should be a minimum of 8-10 well-
structured sentences and posted as a “reply” to the original assignment posting.)
In your initial post:
Discuss what purposes are served by criminal law, and why those purposes are significant for society and social order.
Provide 2 examples to support your position.
In your reply posts:
Critically examine the postings of your peers, looking carefully at the examples
that they provide, and consider an alternative position.
1.2 – Written Assignment (Due Monday, 11:59 p.m. CT) (100 points):
This written assignment should not exceed a maximum of 5 double-spaced pages of
text, submitted in APA format, using 12 point font. In addition, your paper should
include a cover page and reference page. A minimum of 2 scholarly sources must be
used. Answer the following questions and post your assignment as a .doc file
attachment to the link provided under Assignment 1.2.
Interpret the difference between specific intent, general intent, transferred intent
and strict liability.
How does the Model Penal Code differ from the common law regarding the mens
1.3 – Introduction Assignment (Due Sunday, 11:59 p.m. CT) (10 points) Since we will be together for the next 12 courses as you pursue your Master of Science Degree in Justice Administration and Crime Management, I would like each of you to post a brief autobiographical introduction to help everyone learn a little bit about you personally and professionally. Submit your introduction to the Discussion Board 1.3. In your introduction address each of the following:
1. Your Name—If you have a nickname that you would like everyone to use, please include that information here.
2. What City & State you are currently residing and, if applicable, other relevant places that you have lived. The purpose of this information is the fact that many of the thoughts and ideas that we will share throughout this program are often the result of our regional experiences. This is important to recognize, and it will allow us to better understand your perspectives.
3. Your current job and position – Tell us a little bit about your current job/position and any previous relevant job history.
4. Educational Background – Where did you receive your undergraduate degree and in what discipline? Have you taken online courses in the past?
5. Why MJCM? – Tell us why you chose to pursue a Master’s degree in Justice Administration and Crime Management. Briefly discuss what you hope to learn in this program and how it relates to your personal and professional goals.
6. Interesting Facts – Describe 3 interesting facts about yourself. For example, you may want to tell us about your family, interesting places you’ve been, hobbies, great accomplishments, or just something that your friends know about you that will help all of us get to know you better. There isn’t a right or wrong response here, so just be yourself.
7. Photo – Attach a digital photo of yourself. This does not have to be a professional picture, but can be any photo in any setting. Since a majority of us are living in different parts of the country, we will not have the opportunity to meet face to face, so this will be our way of putting a face with a name.
8. Favorite Web Site – Provide us with the address of your favorite web site and tell us a little bit about the web site and why you like it.