Week 2 Assignment: EssaySummary
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: “The Story of an Hour”; Appendix 2 – The Elements of Fiction
- File (PDF): Presentation
- Review Week 1 Presentations (specifically, the elements of literature and keys to livelier writing)
- Minimum of 1 peer-reviewed library resource
“The Story of an Hour” was first titled “The Dream of an Hour” and appeared in Vogue magazine in 1894. Susan Cahill for Chopin’s sensitivity toward women has called the piece one of “feminism’s sacred texts.” Perhaps her most popular story, “The Story of an Hour” has strong themes of self-identity, self-assertion, and self-fulfillment.
Write an essay analyzing “The Story of An Hour” as a thwarted awakening. Keep in mind the irony in the story and the author’s background. You may also want to consider how the various elements discussed in the Week 1 Presentation 1 (Magnificent Seven) were used to advance the author's message and/or to add to the effectiveness of the piece. You may have to do additional research for this; remember use only scholarly sources.
Do not simply repeat some of the remarks you made in Discussion 2 this week. Develop and support new ideas and insights.
Do NOT use Sparksnotes, eNotes, Wikipedia, or similar websites, as these are not academic in nature. If you do so, you will earn an automatic F. Your essay may be submitted to Turnitin, so please use the University library or .org and .edu resources.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- 3-5 pages (approx. 300 words per page), not including title page or references page
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page with topic and name of student
- References page (minimum of 1 resource – in addition to the text)
Need a similar essay? click ORDER NOW and claim a special bonus- Up To 15% Discounts!!!