The Assignment: History provides important insights that enable us to understand contemporary events, challenges, and dilemmas. Indeed, one might argue that many contemporary dilemmas can be explained or more fully understood by reference to the effects of past historical developments. Choose two of the following issues and discuss how the historical developments you have studied in this course influence, explain, or help to better understand them. Feel free to suggest another issue (or issues) that is not on this list, but do not choose the problem of ethnic violence that erupted in the breakup of Yugoslavia, since you will have already discussed that in the debate! Be sure to support your claims with evidence!
· The Israeli-Palestinian conflict
· The persistence of gender and racial inequality (including sexual harassment and sexual violence) in the modern world
· Environmental degradation/climate change
· Poverty and underdevelopment in states that were former European colonial possessions in Africa
· The rise of nationalist and/or illiberal political parties and groups in contemporary Europe