Option #1: Analyzing Diversity
Your book lists four different types of diversity: species diversity, genetic diversity, ecological diversity, and functional diversity. Pick one type of diversity and create a plan to assess it in your backyard or a local outdoor area. Write a paper addressing the following:
- Describe your location. Does it receive a lot of rain? What time of year is it? Give a general description of the kinds of species found here.
- Discuss the type of diversity you would like to assess in the area and why. Make a hypothesis about the diversity you would expect to find.
- Create your plan.
- What data would you need to assess that kind of diversity? How could you collect that data?
- Create a hypothetical table of the data you might find in your area.
- What are different ways you could analyze that data?
- Discuss the importance of diversity for a healthy ecosystem.
- What impact do you think humans have on diversity in this natural area?
- Your written paper should be three to four pages in length, not counting the title and reference pages, which you must include.
- You need to cite at least three sources for this assignment, outside of the textbook.
- Your paper must be formatted according to APA CITATIONS