Social Institutions Class Instruction:
please choose one of the following questions:
1. The reading this week refers to the family as the cornerstone of American society. What are the biggest changes in how we define" family" over the last 50 years? According to research , what are people's general thoughts on family and non-traditional family structures in the United States today? What are the social factors that have influenced this perception of "family?" what can the government and citizens do to strenthen families and marriages in American society? provide examples to support your answer. Now, critiques your answer from the point of view of a funtionalist or a conflict theorist.
2. What is credentialism? is there too much of an emphasis on credentials in the United States? if so, how might this be harmful? to whom? which theretical perspective best desrcibes your view of education? explain why.
3. what is the role of religion in society? in your response, include a comparison of the theories on religion of Marx, Weber, and Durkheim. Has the role of religion in society changed over time? how does this relate to the concept of secularization and the current generational shift in religious affiliation in the U.S.?
The week 6 forums meets the following course objectives:
Apply a sociological perspective to the social world
Analyze contemporary social issues using the sociological imagination and use sociological theories and concepts to analyze everyday life.
describe the family, education, and religion from a sociological perspective.
week 6 check list:
1. read griffiths chapters 14-16
2. review week 6 lesson
3. complete week 6 forum
4. begin work on assignment 3: field analysis