Select a significant tragic event (either domestic or global) that has occurred over the last 50 years. The interactive presentation in this unit provides some ideas of historical tragic events but understand that these are just ideas. After describing the event and the post-tragedy events discuss the ethical aspects revolving around this incident. This discussion may require some additional research to understand the ethical situations and the impact the event(s) had on affected people and their ability to move on with their lives.
1. Describe the actions of people and organizational leaders directly and indirectly involved with the tragedy. Specifically address the ethical issues they faced.
2. What were some of the actions of local state and federal personnel with respect to dealing with this tragedy?
3. Explain the strategies of organizations that attempted to assist with the clean-up after the tragic event. Describe several of the pressures that influenced their strategies. Distinguish between social responsibility integrity and simple business ethics.
4. How has this event affected the ethical culture here in the United States? What other effect has it had on society as a whole?
5. What other lessons might we learn from this event in the future?
The response must be a minimum of three double-spaced pages. You are required to use at least one scholarly source in your response. All sources used must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying in-text citations and be cited per APA guidelines.
Mojtahedi M. H. & Lan Oo B. (2014). Stakeholders’ approaches to disaster risk reduction in built environment.Disaster Prevention and Management 23(4) 356-369. Retrieved fromhttps://libraryresources.columbiasouthern.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com.libraryresources.columbiasouthern.edu/docview/1658531769?accountid=33337
Simola S. (2014). Teaching corporate crisis management through business ethics education.European Journal of Training and Development 38(5) 483-503. Retrieved fromhttps://libraryresources.columbiasouthern.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com.libraryresources.columbiasouthern.edu/docview/1650544486?accountid=33337
Archer D. (2008). Ensuring an ethical organization.CMA Management82(7) 32-36. Retrieved fromhttps://libraryresources.columbiasouthern.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=35687469&site=ehost-live&scope=site
BBC World News. (2015 October 6).BBC documentaries 2015 Hurricane Katrina disaster in America National geographic documentary[Video file]. Retrieved fromhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KA7pclcxBA
Jacobs G. [Academy of Art University]. (2014 April 25).Code for America Ethics & leadership panel[Video file]. Retrieved fromhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOzOsOrmftc
Nurses Talk. (2012 January 6).When disasters strike[Video file]. Retrieved fromhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dif4lPHgWnw
Weaver M. [PracticalBioethics]. (2011 December 22).Disaster ethics: An introduction by Michael Weaver MD[Video file]. Retrieved fromhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmQOEnvpOEY
Significant Events of Hurricane Katrina 1