“Human service professionals are knowledgeable about the cultures and communities within which they practice. They are aware of multiculturalism in society and its impact on the community, as well as individuals, within the community. They respect individuals and groups, their cultures and beliefs” (Statement 18, Ethical Standards for Human Service Professionals, 1996).
Cultural competency moves beyond simply embracing or tolerating diversity. A culturally competent human services professional operates effectively within a multicultural environment. For this Discussion, you explore your personal commitment to cultural competence. You also think about some concrete ways in which this commitment has influenced your work in this program and how it may influence your future practice in this field.
To Prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the web resource, “Counselors for Social Justice.”
- Review the web resource, “NASW Standards for Cultural Competence in Social Work Practice.”
- Review the web resource, “Cultural Competence.”
- Review the web resource, “Ethical Standards for Human Service Professionals.”
- Review this week’s media, “Cultural Competency and Social Change.”
- Consider your commitment to cultural competence and how it has influenced your coursework and how it will influence your future practice of human services work.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post a description of your personal commitment to cultural competence. Then, explain how this commitment has influenced your work in the BS in Human Services program. Finally, explain how this commitment might influence your future practice of human services. Be specific and provide examples to support your response.