One of the major responsibilities of HR is to, of course, manage human capital. This continues after employee hiring and continues through termination and succession. Having effective policies in place that define these, and other functions in between, is critical to an organizations commitment to ethical, legal, fair, and efficient operating practices. In this assignment, you are asked to share best practices or policies on these topics during a series of brown bag sessions (these are informal lunch time presentations).
Imagine that HR leadership is busy integrating the HR teams from both hospitals and they want to make sure department members are operating in concert with one another on a range of topics. Over the next several weeks, leadership plans to have you conduct three brown bag sessions (informal lunch-time presentations) that examine the topics of record keeping, ethics and law, and succession planning. They have asked you to write an executive summary of the content planned for each session in advance.
- Session 1: Maintaining Accurate Employee RecordsIn this session, you identify, and elaborate upon, four reasons for maintaining accurate and objective employee records.
- Session 2: Ethical and Legal TerminationIn this session, you examine the legal and ethical aspects of selecting and terminating an employee out of a group of people with similar performance, behaviors, and jobs as a part of a broad-ranging cost saving initiative. Employee differences:
- One has a disability.
- One is paid significantly more than others.
- One is 60 years of age and older than the others.
- One is planning on soon taking an extended family leave
- Session 3: Succession PlanningIn this session, you recommend a process to identify and groom an internal candidate to move into a senior-level leadership position in a health care organization such as CEO, COO, and CFO.
Consider the scenario above and imagine that your audience is a group of department managers. Write an executive summary that introduces the topics in an introductory paragraph and then describes the content to be delivered in each of the three sessions in detail. Each session description should be two pages in length (six total pages plus cover page).Your work will be measured against the following criteria:
- Identify, and elaborate upon, four reasons for maintaining accurate and objective employee records.
- Analyze the legal implications or requirements of a termination decision. (Make sure to reference specific statutes or laws that govern this area of employment law.)
- Analyze the ethical facets of a termination decision. (Make sure to reference an ethical framework to support your assertions or positions.)
- Recommend and justify a process to identify and groom a candidate for a senior-level position.
- Resources: Use four sources to support your writing. Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate. Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment. For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library or review library guides.