Building Foundational Quantitative Skills
Competence in basic research skills and knowledge of relevant concepts are necessary to understand how to effectively design a research study. In addition to gaining a general understanding of research, this week you will be introduced to new terms and concepts associated with quantitative research. This week will also include an overview of many of the basic statistical methods used to describe and analyze data. Unlike qualitative research, which includes primarily text data as the basis to analyze a problem and answer a research question, quantitative research includes the collection and analysis of numerical data.
• Bryne, G. (2007). A statistical primer: Understanding descriptive and inferential statistics. Evidence Based Library and Information
Summarize Numerical Data
For this assignment, think about a potential study you might want to conduct in which you would need to collect numerical data. You can use the research topic and problem you developed earlier, but make sure to modify your research questions to fit a quantitative method for this assignment.
• State the research problem and ensure it is supported by at least 3 to 5 scholarly resources within the past 5 years to ensure relevancy. Also keep in mind that your problem statement should reflect your degree (applied or PhD). Discuss whether you had to alter the problem statement to now reflect a quantitative design.
• How could you use quantitative methodology to address your research problem?
• State the purpose of the research effort. Make sure the purpose is aligned with the problem.
• Draft 2 to 3 research questions that would be appropriate for a quantitative study and addresses your research problem and are aligned with your purpose statement. You might choose to revise your previous qualitative research questions or develop new research questions. Either way, ensure alignment with the problem and purpose.
• Identify and discuss a design that is associated with quantitative methodology that you would consider to answer your research questions.
• You will find that some problems lend themselves to using one methodology over another. A goal of this assignment was to have you explore how a quantitative methodology might help you address your research questions. You will have an opportunity later in the course to explore mixed methodologies. Based on your analysis above, do you feel the use of a quantitative methodology and your chosen design is best suited to address your research problem and answer your questions. Why or why not?
Be sure to use scholarly sources to support all assertions and research decisions.
Length: 3-5 pages
Your paper should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards.
Need a similar essay? We have qualified writers who can assist. Click ORDER NOW to get a special bonus- Up to 18% Discount Offer!!!