One of the most important things we can do in this course is distinguish between the sociological viewpoint toward health and illness and strictly clinical or medical viewpoints toward health and illness. For example, it is crucial that we understand how sociology incorporates issues of race, class, gender, language, and so forth into the analysis of health and illness outcomes in society. The purpose of this assignment is for us to examine the definition of the sociological viewpoint toward health and illness, and utilize major concepts from our reading material to support this response.
Construct a 4-6 page paper that fully explores each of these three areas:
- Identify and describe a current and major health issue that is a leading cause of mortality in the U.S. or overseas.
- Explain the medical viewpoint of this health issue.
- Explain the sociological viewpoint of this health issue.
- Use two peer-reviewed sources (none that are provided in class) to support your explanation of how the sociological viewpoint applies to this health issue.
- Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses that each approach in resolving this health issue, or reducing mortality.
The paper should be typed, double-spaced, 1” margins, arial or times new roman 12 pt font, and saved as .doc. The paper should be in APA format (cover page, running header, major heading, subheadings, in-text citations, and reference list),