Leadership in Organizations
(10%=Individual Written Report)
Purpose of Assignment
· To help students understand what leadership is.
· To become familiar with the different types of leadership and how they function within different industries. The student will also understand the theory behind different leadership styles.
· The student will be able to define leadership.
· The student will be able to show his understanding of different leadership styles.
· The student will be able to show his understanding of different leadership styles and the function of each type across industries.
· The student will be able to differentiate between a manager’s role in an organization and a leader’s role.
· The student will be able to list five characteristics of an effective leader.
· The student will be able to show his understand of how an identified characteristic of an effective leader empowers their leadership style.
Instructional Media: Tools and Resources
· You will be provided with online articles, reports, and different resources that will assist you in understanding the leadership styles. You will be provided in-class time one week before the assignment is due in order to discuss in groups and search online for additional required resources.
1. The report must use your own language and should specify the reference(s) from which the information is taken. If you cut and paste a sentence you must use quotation marks and write the author, year, and page number in brackets in the text after the quotation.
2. The report must:
· have a cover page
· use Times New Romans or Arial, font size: 12
· have a space of 2 between lines,
· be between 2-3 full pages in length (not including the reference list)
· use topic sentences at the start of each paragraph
· be written in the third person (do not use “I” or “my” or “our” or “we”)
· have a reference for each section (excluding the Conclusion)
· use full sentences (and no bullet points)
3. The report must use the following headings:
Include a clear thesis statement, justify the importance of the assignment, a reference to justify assignment, outline what topics the report will cover
Define leadership, justify its importance in organizations, and explain how it differs from management.