Last week, you explored the topic of job analysis. When conducting a job analysis, a manager develops a description of the duties performed in a position. However, effectively designing a position goes much further than simply listing duties. It includes building in strategies for training, review, recognition, and clear direction and responsibilities. Part of the role of the human resource manager is to design jobs in such a way that the employee feels motivated and appreciated, resulting in a higher level of performance.
This week, you explore the importance of job design, job training, and performance appraisal systems. You explore performance development actions that contribute to supporting a diverse workforce. You also explore how organizational strategy influences each of these areas. Based on the readings for this week, consider how organizational strategy is enhanced or hindered by each of these functions.
With these thoughts in mind:
- Select a topic from this week’s readings that interests you the most.
- Which will be Chapter 9, “Training for Improved Performance” (pp. 334–377)
In this chapter, you explore the important elements necessary for designing an effective training program. You gain an understanding of how well-designed training and development can improve performance. Finally, you are introduced to different methods for evaluating a training program.
Focus on the definitions provided throughout the chapter. Review and think about the examples and anecdotes provided in the chapter that illustrate the major ideas being conveyed. From a manager’s perspective, consider the different techniques for development and training that assist employee orientation. Ask yourself how an effective training program can improve retention
- Consider a real-world situation that relates to or could be addressed utilizing primary concepts from the assigned readings.
By Day 4
Post an answer to the following questions:
- How does this topic impact organizational strategy?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of HR approaches (job design, job training, or performance appraisal systems) related to the chosen topic?
Your post should be approximately 200–250 words in length